COS IN BRIEF
Thirties of last century the statistics office was department in
the Ministry of Economy and Transport, after it was divided into
two ministries, in 1939 this branch was joined to the ministry
of Economy and named (The main office for Statistics).
1956, this department was merged with statistical offices and
sections of some government departments and enterprises therefore it
was named (Central office of Statistics).
1959 Authority of Implementation Law was issued and according to
that, Ministry of Planning had been established and the Central office of
Statistics was joined with Ministry of Planning then raised to general
directorate in 1/7/1959.
Ministry of Planning system was issued, that Central Statistical
Organization (CSO) was established according to it and headed by
2004 the systematical and technical structure of the ministry
reconsidered which became Ministry of Planning and Development
Cooperation to conform actually to the nature of its activities and
central statistical organization (CSO) has been renamed to The
Central Organization for Statistics and Information Technology (COS)
after establishing of a general directorate that named (Information
specialized in statistical processes concerning with population
census, sampling census and all statistical operations such as
agricultural, industrial, economic, social, financial and monetary,
and other that related to formal and semi formal, public and private
institutions, companies in general and Individuals, In addition to
status and their activities that serve planning , national development
Organization for Statistics and (COS )
The Central organization for statistics
regards as a technical specialist authority in all various
statistics operations in Iraq. COS has a moral personality which
carries out its works according to internal system and undertakes
the following tasks:-
1. Implementation of general population and housing censuses.
2. Implementation of statistical operations which are related with
fields and surveys in sample, In addition to all operations and
procedures such as agricultural, industrial … etc.
3. Collect, unify, prepare, analysis and summarize the statistical
results totally or partially.
4. Preparing and updating database related to doing elections,
the preparation of voter lists whenever needed.
5. Publishing and printing the statistical pamphlets and reports, in
to establish of training courses, symposiums and statistical
6. Participation in international cooperation in the statistical
the experiences with the Arabic and International scientific
institutions and organizations which operate in statistical field.
7. Technical supervision on some statistical operations which are
out by directorates in the other ministries and official
8. Establishing of integrated data banks.
9. Preparing of researches and studies which lead to develop the
10. The Participation in training and enhancing the statistical
other official institutions.
11. Activation of statistical work through implements the censuses
statistical surveys which are carried out by Arabic and
12. Supplying the geographical information system (GIS) service for
beneficiaries from COS directorates and
the sector departments in the
13. Administrate the networks centrally and make back up for all
protect them from damage.
14. Participation in design the planning policies for Information
sector in coordinate with other ministries
15. Provide central maintenance for all users of computers, networks
other related instruments.
16. Installation, supporting and supplying software, hardware and
equipments to the directorates of ministry,
according to what is available
and the tasks which entrusted to it and the
provision of internet services to
employees of the ministry and its